Fokker D XI (PW-7)
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Holland / Fokker|
Flown as a prototype on 5 May 1923, the D XI single-seat fighter was of sesquiplane configuration. Powered by a 300hp Hispano-Suiza 8Fb eight-cylinder water-cooled engine and carrying an armament of two synchronised 7.92mm LMG 08/15 machine guns, the D XI had a fabric-covered steel-tube fuselage and plywood covered wooden wings. One hundred and twenty-five were ordered by the Soviet government, and a further 50 were ordered on behalf of Germany's Reichswehr by the financier Hugo Stinnes for the clandestine German air training centre, which, in 1924, was being established at Lipetsk, north of Voronezh, in the Soviet Union. In the event, the German order was cancelled and, in 1925, these 50 D XIs were sold to Romania. Two others were supplied to Switzerland in 1925 for evaluation by that country's Fliegertruppe, and earlier, at the beginning of 1924, three had been delivered to McCook Field for evaluation by the US Army Air Service as PW-7s. The three D XIs supplied to the USAAS were non-standard in having the 440hp V-1150 (Curtiss D-12) water-cooled engine. The first of these had standard plywood-covered wings with V-type interplane struts, and the second and third had fabric wing skinning and N-type strutting.