Formed March 1920 to take over from His Majesty's Disposals Board surplus aircraft not required for use by the diminishing RAF. Value of stock about 100 million, stored in six depots, main one at Waddon Aerodrome, Croydon, Surrey. Specimen aircraft demonstrated in many parts of the world, and drawing office formed under J. Kenworthy, formerly with Austin and Westland. Many modifications (e.g. Lamblin radiators) made on standard military types, notably Martinsyde F.4, which was developed later as the ADC 1 with Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar radial engine. Eight of this type sold to Latvia in 1926, in the same year Nimbus Martinsyde (with ADC Nimbus engine) appeared. Ceased trading 1930.

Back to the letter A

All the World's Rotorcraft

Virtual Aircraft Museum