|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USA / Berliner-Joyce|
After the return of the XFJ-1 to Berliner-Joyce for reconstruction in November 1930, the dihedral was eliminated from the upper wing, which was given gull configuration, the vertical tail surfaces were enlarged and a 500hp R-1340D Wasp engine was installed, this being enclosed by a Townend ring and fitted with a spinner. In this form, the fighter was redesignated XFJ-2, resuming its flight test programme at Anacosta on 22 May 1931. The XFJ-2 displayed no improvement in landing characteristics by comparison with the XFJ-1 and proved unstable, and after testing by the US Navy was discarded as unsatisfactory.
W.Green, D.Swanborough "The Complete Book of Fighters", 2000