Berliner-Joyce P-16 / PB-1
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USA / Berliner-Joyce|
The first military aircraft designed and built by the Berliner-Joyce Corporation, the P-16 (later redesignated PB-1) was a tandem two-seat fighter designed to the requirements of a USAAC contest held in April 1929. The prototype XP-16, powered by a supercharged Curtiss V-1570A Conqueror 12-cylinder liquid-cooled engine rated at 600hp, appeared in October 1929, and was of fabric-covered metal construction with an upper wing of gull configuration. Armament comprised two fixed forward-firing 7.62mm machine guns and a third weapon of similar calibre on a flexible mounting in the rear cockpit. Five 11kg or two 55kg bombs could be carried.
Two contracts were issued for a total of 25 service test aircraft as YlP-16s, these being essentially similar to the prototype apart from having the unsupercharged V-1570-25 Conqueror which was also rated at 600hp. The YlP-16s were delivered in 1932 and were later redesignated as PB-1s (pursuit-biplace). These proved to possess insufficient manoeuvrability to oppose single-seat fighters, offered extremely poor visibility for landing and displayed a tendency to nose over. As a consequence they were withdrawn from USAAC service on 31 January 1934.
W.Green, D.Swanborough "The Complete Book of Fighters", 2000