|INTERCEPTOR||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Sukhoi|
During 1957, the Sukhoi OKB began construction of the prototype of a new tailed-delta interceptor, the two-seat P-1 (the prefix letter indicating Perekhvatchik, or interceptor) intended to meet a requirement for a fighter equipped with collision-course radar and carrying a mixed armament of guided and unguided missiles plus cannon. Flown in 1958, the P-1 had a 57° delta wing with dog-tooth leading edges and lateral air intakes with translating centrebodies. Power was provided by an unspecified turbojet with a maximum afterburning thrust of 10600kg and armament included a battery of 50 unguided spin-stabilised 57mm rocket missiles, provision being made for a single 37mm cannon and guided missiles on underwing pylons. Poor engine reliability and serious delay in development of the intended X-band radar led to discontinuation of development of the P-1 at a comparatively early stage in flight test.