|BOMBER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Italy / Piaggio|
The Piaggio P.16 three-engine heavy bomber of 1934 was distinguished by a thick-section semi-elliptical wing set at shoulder height, and of inverted gull configuration. Defensive armament comprised four 7.62mm machine-guns located in the wing leading edge, in a retractable dorsal turret and in the rear fuselage beneath the high-positioned single fin and rudder. Largely of metal construction, the P.16 had retractable main landing gear units and a non-retractable tailwheel with a spat-type fairing. The bomb-aimer's compartment was located in the underside of the fuselage, just behind the central engine.