|BOMBER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Italy / Caproni|
The Ca.101 D2 was a high-wing strut-braced cabin monoplane powered by three 179kW Alfa Romeo D2 uncowled radial engines. It was built in limited numbers as a colonial bomber-transport and achieved notoriety in the Italian campaign in Abyssinia during 1935-6. Strongly constructed and fitted with Handley Page leading-edge slats, the Ca.101s were slow but tough and were effective in providing the advancing Italian columns with bombing support and supplies. Their poor performance was not a problem as there was no air opposition. Armament comprised four 7.7mm machine-guns firing from a retractable dorsal turret, a ventral bulge and lateral window ports. The bomb load was carried externally under the fuselage.
Although a few civil Ca.101s were flown on colonial passenger routes for several years (with various Walter, Piaggio and Alfa Romeo engines of 149-313kW), the military Ca.101s were withdrawn from first-line service immediately after the Abyssinian campaign. A development of the Ca.101 was also produced for the Regia Aeronautica as the Ca.102, powered by four engines in tandem pairs and with a nose-gunner's position. At least one was flown experimentally.