Albatros G III
|BOMBER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Germany / Albatros|
Medium bomber powered on the G.III limited production version by two 164kW Benz Bz.IVa pusher engines mounted on the lower wings. Interesting feature of the design was that the trailing-edges of the inner sections of the lower wings were cut away to allow the engines and large propellers to be fitted further forward on the wings than would otherwise be possible. The G.II prototype first flew in mid-1916 and G.III entered service in Macedonia and elsewhere in the following year. Armament comprised two Parabellum machine-guns - one each in nose and rear cockpits - plus 320kg of bombs.