|TRANSPORT||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Caudron|
The prototype of the Caudron C.61 civil transport appeared in 1921. It was a three-bay biplane of wooden construction with fabric covering, powered by three 112kW Hispano-Suiza engines. Pilot and co-pilot were seated in open side-by-side cockpits aft of the nose engine; behind them were the freight hold and, to the rear, a cabin for six passengers. Landing gear comprised two twin-wheel main units and a tail skid, plus a single wheel under the nose to prevent the aircraft from nosing-over on landing.
Twelve production C.61s were powered by Hispano-Suiza 8Ac engines and had an enlarged cabin for eight passengers. Six aircraft were purchased by the Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de; Navigation Aerienne and operated a route between Bucharest and Belgrade from 1923 onwards. The remaining C.61s were flown by various French companies, one being lost in an accident when it came down at sea.
All the World's Rotorcraft