BAJ Type IV
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / BAJ|
Designed by Charles Audenis and built by the Boncourt- Audenis-Jacob concern at Bron, the BAJ Type IV was a tandem two-seat fighter powered by a 300hp Hispano-Suiza 8Fb eight-cylinder water-cooled engine and mounting an armament of one synchronised 7.7mm Vickers machine gun and a pair of 7.7mm Lewis guns on a T.O.3 ring mounting in the rear cockpit. Of relatively clean design, with aerofoil-section single interplane struts and a close-cowled engine, the Type IV was officially ordered on 1 May 1918 by the Aviation Militaire. The first prototype was delivered to Villacoublay for official trials late in November 1918, but these were apparently delayed by the need for modifications which were undertaken by the Hanriot concern and completed on 28 January 1919. The first prototype was returned to the Boncourt-Audenis-Jacob concern for repairs in the summer of 1919, official trials being continued with a second prototype. No production order for the Type IV was placed and no specification for this type has apparently survived.
All the World's Rotorcraft