|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Avimeta|
Designed by Capt Georges Lepere, who, while on loan to the US government, had been primarily responsible for the Packard-Lepere LUSAC-11 and -21 two-seat fighters, the Avimeta 88 two-seat parasol monoplane fighter was built by the aviation department of the Schneider-Creusot industrial group, and appeared in 1926. Constructed entirely of a metal alloy known as alferium, the Avimeta 88 had corrugated alferium skinning and was powered by a 500hp Hispano-Suiza 12Hb 12-cylinder liquid-cooled engine. Armament comprised two synchronised 7.7mm MAC (Vickers) machine guns and two Lewis guns on a flexible mounting in the rear cockpit. Only one prototype of the Avimeta 88 was built, development being abandoned when the official requirement for a new two-seat fighter and reconnaissance aircraft was discarded.
All the World's Rotorcraft