Bristol 93 Bloodhound
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / United Kingdom / Bristol|
Designed by Wilfrid T Reid to meet Air Ministry Specification 3/22 issued in June 1922 for a two-seat fighter, the Bloodhound was flown for the first time at the end of May 1923. Featuring a welded steel-tube fuselage and wooden wings, and powered by a 425hp Bristol Jupiter IV engine, the Bloodhound carried an armament of two synchronised 7.7mm Vickers machine guns and a Lewis gun of similar calibre on a Scarff mounting on the rear cockpit. Three additional Bloodhounds were built to the order of the Air Ministry, the first of these being of all-metal construction and the others having wooden wings and tail. All three were powered by the Jupiter IV, but the engine of the third aircraft was fitted with an RAE supercharger. The three aircraft were delivered to Martlesham and Farnborough between March and September 1925, but no production was undertaken. The original prototype was successively fitted with the Jupiter V and VI, and served primarily as an engine test bed.