Boulton-Paul P.75 Overstrand
|BOMBER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / United Kingdom / Boulton-Paul|
The Overstrand was a further stage in the development of the high-performance medium bomber by this company. Essentially a 'super-Sidestrand' and originally known as the Sidestrand V, the production Overstrand that entered service with No 101 Squadron from 1934 became the RAF's first bomber with a power-operated enclosed gun-turret, which overcame the problems associated with firing movable machine-guns at high speed. A total of 24 Overstrands were built, each powered by two 432kW Bristol Pegasus II M3 radial engines. These remained in service as bombers until 1937, thereafter becoming gunnery trainers.