Blackburn T.2 Dart
|TORPEDO BOMBER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / United Kingdom / Blackburn|
The Dart was the FAA's standard single-seat torpedo bomber from 1923 to 1933. Similar to the Blackburn Swift but with reduced wing span, it could carry a torpedo or underwing bombs. Production ended in 1928 after the 117th Dart had been completed.
The Dart first entered service with No 460 Flight in 1923 on board HMS Eagle, stationed in the Mediterranean; and with Nos 461 and 462 on board HMS Furious, based in home waters. Shore training was by 'D3 Flight at Gosport. The aircraft's low stalling speed of 70km/h enabled it to pioneer the technique of deck landing by night on HMS Furious in 1926. In 1928 Nos 463 and 464 Flights embarked on HMS Courageous for service in the Mediterranean and in the following year a single example was delivered to No 36 Squadron, RAF, for smoke-screen trials. Three Darts were also converted into two-seat advanced-training seaplanes for use on the River Humber by Blackburn's RAF Reserve School, being used between 1925 and 1929.