The Gyrodyne Company of America was established by Peter J. Papadakos in 1946. Gyrodyne acquired rights to the five-seat Helicopters Inc. (Bendix) Model J and developed this as the Gyrodyne GCA-2 (N74101). The GCA-2, an all-metal helicopter, had a coaxial twin rotor layout, with a five-seat cabin and a rounded fuselage with twin fins. It was subsequently modified to become the GCA-2A "Helidyne", with twin 100hp Continental auxiliary engines mounted externally on strutted outriggers to give additional forward speed. It flew in this form on 30 November 1949. A further GCA-2C (N6594K) was built but later abandoned.
R.Simpson "Airlife's Helicopter and Rotorcraft", 1998